Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Silver

The sandals I stole from Kmart.
The lighter you used on the ivy,

the dumpster. The padlock on the
refrigerator after Sara's fight with

Mom. The polish Sara dabbed
on her nails, and Mom's seashells

in the top shelf basket. The pit bull's
collar as he dove against his chain, little

grunts, trying to get at us, our arms full
of oranges. Your hair, after she sprayed

it with sparkles for the fourth of July party.
The life guard's capped tooth as he lifted

you from the pool. The rings clotting your
fingers as they tapped and tapped. The sun

after you dared me to stare for a full minute,
the shining hole left in everything after.

4 comments:

MartaSzabo said...

Thank you for this array of images, set out in a pattern. They vibrate, have a meaning I can't quite place, but I know to pay attention.

Natasha Milburn Lalita (Novelist) said...

The spirit in your verses just gets you, and takes you away

Radish King said...

I love this. Pure and simple. Surprising images around every corner. Delight.
xo

Christine E. Hamm, Poet Professor Painter said...

Thanks, Marta, Lolita and Ms. King!

Your comments mean a lot to me. I'm actually still tweaking this one.