Saturday, November 24, 2007

Sorry I have neglected you for so long, but finally, I have written some poems. Not my usual style, and heavily influenced by Hal Sirowitz.

The Fireman Left His Business Card

I don't understand
why you're leaving me,
he said as I pulled down
the charred curtains and
stuffed them into a garbage bag.

Mice with singed
tails stampeded across
the backs of cats underneath
the burning dining room table.

I love you, he said,
and things are
going so well.


-----------------

The Big House


I always planned
to have a big house,
he said. A big house
and a big black car. No,
two big cars. And you
were always in that house,
waiting for me.

--------------

The Dance of the Pink Elephant


Tell me about the bucket,
I ask him, as he stares
at the bucket.

It's a battered, ugly
bucket, stained and smelling
of pus.

He kicks the bucket
into the corner and it tangles
around his ankle, making
a terrible racket. I don't know
what you're talking about, he says,
his hands busy, I don't see
any bucket.

----------------------

Maybe they should all be part of one poem? What do you think?

6 comments:

Talia Reed said...

I think they're great! They can be seperate poems if they want.

Christine E. Hamm, Poet Professor Painter said...

Thanks -- I think they can work separately, but if I rearrange the order they can also work together.

Rethabile said...

The fire in that first one is so intense!

Radish King said...

I love the sparse language in these.

Christine E. Hamm, Poet Professor Painter said...

Thank you, Rethabile! I actually rearranged it a bit.

And thank you Radish King, for tolerating my questions! and for your kind comment.

Hal Sirowitz dropped by and sent me note -- he liked them too!

Nick said...

Hey, I'd like to see an integrated version! Thanks for posting these.