Monday, October 08, 2007

New Poem! Finally, I got some writing done. Comments?

Dream Analysis

I have come to the island again to visit my patient who deals pot and beats her children. She insists that we meet in her bedroom. A beautiful Japanese woman in very high heels comes in and takes our picture. For the camera, I stare soulfully at the oil painting of Micheal Jackson and Jesus above the headboard. My patient pulls the blinds in her window, now everything is striped with light. I ask my patient what she has been eating. She complains that she threw her back out on Tuesday carrying her babies to the grocery store. She lies down on the bed and folds her hands across her chest. She closes her eyes. I lift piles of magazines and dirty silk lingerie off a chair and sit down. We begin to snore in unison.

2 comments:

Valerie Loveland said...

I love the part about the blinds and "striped with light" and the snoring at the end.

Christine E. Hamm, Poet Professor Painter said...

Thanks! I was worried that the snoring was a little too funny -- you know, playing with that sleeping analyst joke.