Thursday, June 13, 2002

I tweaked the Political Fiction piece below and sent it into a site that asked for political fiction. The rejection slip made me giggle.

Christine,

Thank you for submitting, but this is not what we are looking for. Our fiction for the most part will be solicited work from writers we know or admire, but that's not to say that we won't publish unsolicited work.

However, in our fiction we are looking for much longer, more traditional narratives that have a story, a point, and characters, and through these reflect the politics of the time. Unfortunately, your piece did not seem to
have any of these elements.


I wanted to write back and say, duh, my point was that narrative itself is a form of political oppression, but it hardly seems worth the while. Anyway, I thought Betty the lobster was a character. Also, they had sent me a request for a submission.

No comments: