Monday, April 09, 2007

Finally, a poem!

I've been doing the poem a day thing, but I haven't wanted to publish my drafts.

In This Dream, The Sky Signifies Memory

I’m standing in my blue flannel nightgown
at the window. The tops of the California oaks
shimmer below me in the wind. I’m walking barefoot
down the center of a gravel road -- I’m sweating
and my nightgown pinches at the armpits, the neck.

I am getting a baby out of a drawer. The baby
is the color of fog: he is sleeping or dead.
He is too heavy to carry, so I leave him
by the side of the road. I am spitting out persimmon
seeds into the cup beside the TV.

I am climbing a ladder over a hedge made of old
keyboards and kites. I am waking up; I am not
wanting to wake up. Someone is calling my cat.
My cat purrs and spits into my eye. She has
gathered tigers around me. I put on my pointed
leather slippers and climb on to the back
the biggest one. We go searching for my baby.
The sky is the color of water, falling.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Thanks for the comment. We'll definately keep in touch. How are things with you?

Annandale Dream Gazette said...

Hi Christine,

I just started a blog of poets' dreams. Was your poem based on dreams you had? If so, may I include it in the Annandale Dream Gazette, & attribute it to you?

It's at www.annandaledreamgazetteonline.blogspot.com

You can email me at
Lynn.Behrendt@gmail.com

Brooke said...

I love this poem. Captures the thickness of dreams nicely.