Saturday, August 31, 2002

Crazy boyfriend

I woke up one morning and Micheal was gone.
A stranger had moved into his head.
This trembling white mass of flesh
sat up next to me in bed,
rolled its eyes and said in a voice
I didn't recognize
that he was leaving for work.
I saw it wasn't Mike.
I didn't know what to say.
After he left, I called the police.
They told me to take him to the hospital.
Maybe to remove the new guy from his brain.
The day before,
I had told Michael to meet me for lunch
in Washington Square Park.
I don't know if he heard me.
He'd been really busy lately.
Writing stuff all night long, lists I didn't
quite understand.
And now this.
So the new guy did show up with Michael's body
at the right time for lunch.
I got him to come with me to the hospital.
It wasn't very easy.
I only hit him once.
He tried to touch me.
I don't let strangers touch me.
When he got out of the hospital,
he slept most of the time.
His hands and faced twitched
when he slept.
I watched him sleep alot.
There wasn't much else to do.

No comments: