Sunday, May 06, 2007

They did the ceremony on Friday for the poet laureate of Queens and it was really nice! I got a shiny white and gold certificate that stated I had "a unique poetic style". Nobody else's certificate said that. I'm special! (And I'll beat you if you disagree.) I had a wonderful time and got to meet some really great poets (who were also runner-ups). I sat next to David Mills, who is insanely talented and award winning. But the actual poet laureate was even more insanely talented and award-deserving, Julio Marzan. He's published everything everywhere, taught Harvard etc, and generally made the rest of us feel like amateurs. There's no complaining that the selection process was unfair: he definitely deserved it.

And not everyone was against me being vice-princess of Queens, with a tiara and wand. Of course, I only expressed the idea to a few people.

6 comments:

Valerie Loveland said...

Poet laureate on a local level sounds fun.

Joseph Gallo said...

Congrats on your certificate of uniquity and for being nominated for such an honor. ;-)

Brooke said...

When you sport the tiara, let me know, and I'll wear mine on the same day.

Christine E. Hamm, Poet Professor Painter said...

Joseph -- thanks! And thanks for all your other great comments -- you've got some good insights.

Brooke -- but yours will be real, and then I'll be jealous...

Christine E. Hamm, Poet Professor Painter said...

Oh, and thanks Val! It was fun.

Collin Kelley said...

Congrats, Christine.