Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Name Change

I want him in the supply closet
at the lawyer's office, waiting for the
half hour to pass, I want him
to protest, softly, I want him to call
my name, twice, and I want him
to kneel with his head under my skirt.
I want him to take me, there, as
the attorney parses my husband's divorce
petition, and I want us both to pause,
trembling, while the receptionist
calls us and tries my cell phone,
and I want us to stay there, in the dim room,
with the door locked from the outside.

5 comments:

Valerie Loveland said...

Nice ending!

Unknown said...

Yeah. Great poem.

I felt that way, too.

Radish King said...

Oh Christine, this is terrific. Visceral and muscular. I've come back several times to reread.
r

Nick said...

Emotionally charged...great read thanks!

tearful dishwasher said...

Christine-

Beautiful, strong, specific, exact. A very strong poem.

Bravo.


tearful